Radical self-care in a mug: single serve chocolate cake, flavored with rich, savory miso.
A single serving of chocolate cake, just for me?
I love to cook for people. But sometimes, it’s nice to cook for myself. That’s where single-serve, individual Chocolate Mug Cake comes in. Easy, fast, and tasty — this really hits the spot when you’re craving something sweet.
Mix in one mug. Microwave for 90 seconds. Add a topping of choice — or not — and that’s it! Time for an ultra-delicious, decadently gooey, blissfully luscious serving of chocolate cake!
What is a mug cake?
A Mug Cake is a single serving of cake, cooked in the microwave. Simple and fast, Mug Cakes are an accessible dessert that everyone should know how to make.
You might be doubtful and wonder: can microwaveable cake really be good?
I’m here to convince you — yes, yes it can! Honestly, I was pleasantly surprised. Moist and soft. Fluffy and rich. It’s significantly better than boxed cake mix but simultaneously easier and more convenient.
What makes my version special: the addition of Miso paste. I was inspired by Alex’s Miso Hot Chocolate, the drink that’s now become a staple in our house. Miso paste took regular, hum-drum hot cocoa to another level! And it did the same to Chocolate Mug Cake. So good!
What is Miso?
Miso is Japanese fermented soybean paste. Miso is salty, savory, and full of umami flavor.
Miso comes in a range of flavor intensities — from lightly fermented White Miso to darker, more strongly flavored Red Miso. Generally, the more fermented the Miso paste, the stronger the taste and color. Fermentation adds SO much flavor to food!
Miso also tastes great when paired with sweet. Trust me! Miso adds a layer of flavor and complexity. It’s not just salty — it’s got depth and buttery richness that make desserts truly amazing. Especially chocolate. Every bite is deliciously satisfying.
FYI, for sweet preparations, I recommend White or Shiro Miso Paste. Red Miso is strongly flavored and can be overpowering in desserts.
Pin for Later:
Miso Chocolate Mug Cake
- Microwaveable Mug
- 3 Tbsp flour
- 2 Tbsp cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 3 Tbsp milk
- 2 Tbsp maple syrup
- 1 Tbsp oil
- 1 tsp Miso paste (White or Shiro Miso work best)
- 1 Tbsp chocolate chips (I use semi-sweet but use what you like best)
- 1 scoop vanilla ice cream
- 1 scoop whipped cream
- dusting powdered sugar
- dusting cocoa powder + cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp toasted + chopped walnuts
- Add dry ingredients to a large, microwaveable mug. Add wet ingredients. Mix well.
- Make sure the miso paste is mostly dissolved and not left in one big chunk. I gently smash the miso paste against the side of the cup with a spoon. It's OK if there's small bits of miso.
- Add chocolate chips. Don't skip this step as the chips melt into tiny pockets of gooey deliciousness! Gently mix again.
- Microwave on high until the cake is set in the center, about 90 seconds. It's OK if the middle is a little bit gooey. The cake should puff then deflate. The mug cake will be steaming hot so be careful! Add any or all of the suggesting toppings and enjoy!