Crispy and crunchy Hong Kong style French Toast, made conveniently in the Air Fryer! A very special breakfast or snack with decadent condensed milk.
Hong Kong French Toast is one of my favorite items to order at Hong Kong style cafes and tea shops. Crispy and crunchy with a decadent drizzle of sweetened condensed milk — it’s all kinds of deliciousness!
Then a friend told me how easy it was to make at home — in the Air Fryer, no less. So good and so easy! I knew I had to share this easy recipe with you.
What is Hong Kong French Toast?
Hong Kong-style French Toast is a classic Asian breakfast and/or snack. Thick slices of milk bread are stuffed with filling, dipped in egg batter, then deep fried. With a drizzle of sweetened condensed milk, it’s a decadent and delicious way to start the day.
As a former British colony, Hong Kong was influenced by the European practice of tea time. Tea shops and cafes became wildly popular, as did Western-style Toast (or French Toast). But with a Hong Kong twist! Now, Hong Kong French Toast is an iconic staple enjoyed by people around the world.
Only 4 ingredients to make this simple recipe:
- Milk Bread. Thick Asian-style milk bread is ideal. Thick, Texas-style toast can also work.
- Egg. Dip in egg batter immediately before air frying so it doesn’t get too soggy.
- Sweetened Condensed Milk. Not too sweet with deep, mellow flavor. A decadent drizzle tastes truly special! (Can be subbed with honey or maple syrup if you don’t have it).
- Butter. A pat of salted or unsalted butter is all you need.
Can I make Hong Kong French Toast without an Air Fryer?
Yes, of course! An Air Fryer simply makes this dish easier to make at home. If you don’t own an Air Fryer, simply deep fry on both sides until golden and crispy. Notes in the recipe card below.
Why does the Air Fryer make such good French Toast?
Air Fryers work as mini convection ovens. Food is cooked faster with minimal oil. And becomes super crispy and crunchy in the process!
For Hong Kong French Toast, an Air Fryer produces that crispy, crunchy texture and deep golden color — without deep frying.
Is Hong Kong French Toast always stuffed with filling?
Not always but oftentimes, yes. Typical filling options: peanut butter, fruit jam, coconut jam, nutella, sweetened condensed milk, cheese, and ham.
Watch how to make HK style French Toast:
Other Air Fryer recipes you may enjoy:
- Air Fryer Panko Tofu
- Honey Soy Chicken Wings
- Crispy Chicken Wings with Korean Magic BBQ Dust
- Korean Gochujang Chicken
Air Fryer Hong Kong Style French Toast
- Air Fryer (I use the Cosori 5.8L Air Fryer)
- 2 slices milk bread
- 1 egg (large, preferably organic)
- pinch salt
- 1-2 Tbsp sweetened condensed milk (plus more for drizzling)
- 1 Tbsp butter, unsalted
- Preheat Air Fryer at 400F for 5 minutes. (Preheating makes for a crispier, more golden HK french toast!)
- Meanwhile, crack the egg in a large shallow bowl. Add pinch of salt and whisk well with a fork.
- Spread a thick layer of sweetened condensed milk (about 1-2 Tbsp) on one slice of bread. Cover with the other slice of bread, making a sandwich. Make sure the edges match.
- When the Air Fryer has finished preheating, dip the sandwich into the egg batter on both sides. Work quickly, dipping and turning the sandwich until completely covered.
- Place into the Air Fryer, directly on top of the grates. Air Fry at 400F for 6 minutes, flipping the French Toast at the 3 minute mark.
- Transfer to a plate. Add a pat of butter and a drizzle of sweetened condensed milk. Eat immediately!