Taco Tuesday with a twist — a spicy, Korean twist! Gochujang Chicken Tacos for the weeknight dinner win!
Last summer, my best friend took me to this Hawaiian-Korean fusion taco place in West Seattle, Marination Ma Kai. The menu was an odd mish-mash of unexpected flavors that I completely loved. We ordered two of every taco and a few sides. Everything was amazingly good!
I especially loved the Spicy Pork Tacos. I came back to Toronto and wanted to make my own Korean Fusion version at home!
I used Spicy Gochujang Chicken as the base — a super versatile, pantry basic that I’ve been cooking for years. Then I added some delicious extras: Lime Cilantro Slaw, pineapple slices, and jalapeno. And just like that, a new dinnertime favorite was born!
Gochujang Chicken Tacos make a great weeknight dinner. Fast, easy, and so good!
But honestly? I think the festive nature of tacos make this perfectly appropriate for dinner with friends. Just serve ingredients in bowls and lay out across the table. Now it’s time for a party!
The key is to broil the chicken on a sheet pan. This simple step ensures all those charred, crispy bits!
And add ALLLLL the extras: pineapple, jalapeno, Lime Cilantro Slaw, sour cream. A few extra lime wedges and hot sauce doesn’t hurt either!
Now it feels like a party! Enjoy!!
PIN FOR LATER:
Gochujang Chicken Tacos
Spicy Gochujang Chicken:
- 8 chicken thighs boneless + skinless
- 1/2 cup Gochujang fermented Korean chili paste
- 6 cloves garlic minced
- 2 Tb soy sauce
- 1 Tb Mirin or rice wine
- 2 Tb sugar
- 1 Tb sesame seed oil
- 1/2 head green cabbage, shredded
- 1 pineapple peeled, cored, sliced into thin strips
- 2 jalapenos sliced
- 1 cup sour cream
- 24 tortillas preferably warm
Make the Spicy Gochujang Chicken:
- Preheat oven to BROIL function. Let the oven heat for at least 10 minutes.
- Whisk all ingredients except chicken in a medium bowl. Add chicken and mix well until chicken is thoroughly coated with marinade.
- Place chicken on a sheet pan lined with aluminum foil for easy clean-up. Broil chicken on one side until little charred bits begin to show, about 6-8 minutes. Flip the chicken and broil until chicken is cooked through and more charred bits begin to show, another 6-8 minutes.
- Remove chicken from the sheet pan and shred with two forks. Place in a serving bowl and set aside.
Make the Lime Cilantro Slaw:
- Make dressing: whisk mayo, lime juice, lime zest, sugar, salt, and pepper in a medium bowl.
- Add dressing to the finely shredded cabbage. Taste and adjust seasonings, adding more salt and lime juice, if needed. The cabbage will wilt a little bit before serving. Place in a serving bowl and set aside.
To Serve Gochujang Chicken Tacos:
- Serve Gochujang Chicken and Lime Cilantro Slaw with sliced pineapple, sliced jalapeno, sour cream, hot sauce, and tortillas.