Fresh and bright Cilantro Lime Slaw tastes good any time of the year. A creamy dressing with lime, cilantro, and minced jalapeno makes it really shine! Serve at every BBQ, potluck, and family dinner. A simple salad that will become your go-to recipe all year long!
Cilantro Lime Slaw
Whenever I need a fresh, bright side — Cilantro Lime Slaw delivers. Crispy and crunchy, tangy and herby — it’s a basic slaw recipe you’ll be turning to again and again!
My go-to, one bowl, most favorite coleslaw in the world. Easy. Fresh. Tastes great with everything — truly!
Lime Cilantro Slaw tastes great stuffed into brisket and fried chicken sandwiches. And fish tacos and burgers, too!
The perfect side to any grilled and barbecued meats because that light, bright, crunchy slaw cuts through all the fatty richness.
- Green Cabbage. Finely shredded, crunchy green cabbage is a key ingredient.
- Cilantro. Adds aromatic, herbal freshness. Not the same without it!
- Lime Juice + Lime Zest. You need both for an acidic, zippy flavor. Adds a bright, tropical tang that’s different from the usual lemon juice.
- Jalapeno. The sparkle that takes Lime Cilantro Slaw over the top. Adds subtle heat and spice. Leave out the seeds if you don’t like spicy.
- Mayonnaise. Good mayo is a dressing essential for creamy, rich flavor. I use Hellman’s Mayo.
- Sugar. A little sweetness rounds out all the flavors.
- Shred the cabbage as finely as possible. Use a mandoline if possible!
- Substitute with a bag of packaged shredded cabbage to make things easier.
- To make things less spicy, leave out the jalapeno seeds!
- Prep everything beforehand but mix dressing right before serving — tastes best that way.
What can I serve with Lime Cilantro Slaw?
Basically, everything. Truly, this fresh, bright, crunchy slaw recipe is a staple at my table!
Serve alongside BBQ staples: jerk chicken, beef brisket, ribs, burgers, hot dogs, and fried chicken.
Or add to your favorite taco or sandwich of choice. Some suggestions:
- Gochujang Chicken Tacos
- Korean Fried Chicken Sandwiches
- Nashville Fried Chicken Sandwiches
- Gochujang Slow Cooker Pulled Pork
- Crispy Fried Fish Sandwiches
Other sides you may enjoy:
Creamy Lime Cilantro Slaw with Jalapeno
- 6 cups cabbage finely shredded (1 small head)
- 1/2 cup cilantro chopped
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup lime juice about 2-3 limes
- zest of 2 limes
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1 jalapeño minced (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Place all dressing ingredients in a small bowl. Whisk until well combined. Pour the dressing over the shredded cabbage. Mix thoroughly. Add cilantro. Mix again.
- Let the coleslaw sit in the fridge (covered) for about 1 hour. During that time, the cabbage will wilt and the flavors will meld together.
- When you are ready to serve, bring out of the fridge. Taste and adjust seasonings, adding more lime juice, salt, and pepper, if needed.
- There may be additional liquid at the bottom of the bowl. Do not be alarmed, this is quite normal. Liquid is released because of the added salt to the cabbage. To avoid this pool of liquid that collects at the bottom of your coleslaw, you can either pour it out or transfer to a clean serving bowl, leaving the additional liquid behind.