Fresh, vibrant, healthy, plant-based burritos. Asian Collard Wraps taste so good, even my meat-loving husband loves them. Plus, that spicy peanut sauce!
January is a hopeful time of year. Buried under snow and ice and the indulgent aftermath of the holiday season lies a dormant desire for change. A merry month of feasting and drinking can do that to you!
This is the time of year when temperance and restraint actually seem appealing. Don’t get me wrong. I love holiday food. But I think we’re all longing for some moderation and quiet just about now.
Enter Asian Collard Wraps. I discovered Collard Wraps in the world of vegan blogs. I am not vegan. But I love vegetables. And vegans know so many creative and delicious ways to eat veggies!
Because honestly? That’s what I’m craving right now. All that celebrating and carousing has left me feeling sluggish, lethargic, and overly full. Some people do detoxes and juice cleanses but I prefer to eat simply and increase my veggie intake. And these collard wraps are such an easy and delicious way to do that.
Among vegan bloggers, it seems that everybody has their version of Collard Wraps. Fast, easy, and absolutely DELICIOUS.
What are Collard Wraps? Basically they are vegetable burritos. Instead of tortilla wraps, a big, leafy, collard green holds everything together.
Here I’ve put my Asian spin on it. Spicy hummus. Loads of crunchy and colorful veggies. A big handful of aromatic herbs. And a Spicy Peanut Sauce that tastes so good, you’ll want to smear it on everything. (You can also easily substitute the peanut butter with tahini — see notes in the recipe.)
Note: Asian Collard Wraps are HEALTHY. I love them and I think they are incredibly delicious. But they will not taste like Korean Fried Chicken or Pork Belly Bulgogi. They will taste like vegetables and brown rice wrapped in collard greens.
PIN FOR LATER:
But I promise you, the sauce pulls everything together! Trust me, even my meat-loving, workout enthusiast husband loves them! (They are his favorite pre and post workout meal, FYI).
Just to say, there are times to be merry and eat fried, fatty foods. And there are times to eat simply and enjoy vegetables for all their delicious health benefits. Enjoy!
Asian Collard Wraps
- 6 collard green leaves
- 6 Tbsp store-bought (Spicy) Hummus (or flavored hummus of your choice)
- 2 cups (cooked) brown rice
- 1 cup purple cabbage thinly sliced
- 1-2 red bell peppers thinly sliced
- 1 cucumber thinly sliced
- mint or Thai basil
Spicy Peanut Sauce
- 1/2 cup peanut butter (I prefer chunky but smooth also works)
- 1/4 cup hot water
- 2 Tbsp lime juice
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1 inch ginger minced
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp sesame oil
- 1 Tbsp sriracha (if you don't like it spicy, use only 1 tsp)
- 1 Tbsp cilantro finely chopped (optional)
- Add Spicy Peanut Sauce ingredients to a medium bowl. Mix well with a spoon until combined and somewhat smooth.
- Take one collard green and flip to the opposite side (dark green side face down). Carefully trim the stem.
- Add ingredients in layers: hummus, rice, vegetables, herbs, peanut sauce, extra drizzle of sriracha. Begin with hummus so that it will act as a glue for the rice.
- Using the collard green as a wrap, fold like a burrito: grab the bottom long edge of the collard green and wrap over the vegetables. Tuck both sides in and keep rolling until you finish with a fat, burrito-looking shape.
- Cut in half and eat immediately.