Easy and versatile Asian Rice Bowls for a fast + simple weeknight meal!
Spring is finally here!
This is the time of year when we emerge from our winter cocoons. And our winter eating habits. If you crave all things light, bright, and fresh — try these easy + healthy Asian Rice Bowls!
Fresh crunchy veggies. A healthy dose of fresh herbs. Protein to keep you full. And a spicy sauce that brings it all together! YUM!
Why Asian Rice Bowls?
Asian Rice Bowls are easy, versatile, healthy, and delicious! My go-to when life is especially busy and hectic! The Asian-inspired ingredients make these exciting and delicious and not boring and hum-drum.
Grain bowls are great for fast + simple weeknight meals. Besides the rice, there’s no cooking required.
Asian Rice Bowls are also great for meal prep and make-ahead work-from-home lunches. Simply prep the ingredients ahead of time. When it’s time to eat, assemble and enjoy! Easy, healthy, tasty meals — all ready to go!
As with any grain bowl recipe, versatility is the key. Make your own Asian Rice Bowl with what’s in your fridge.
- Grain. I like the nutty heartiness of brown rice. But substitute with quinoa, farro, or other grains of choice!
- Vegetables. Shredded cabbage and cucumbers are easy favorites. But use whatever veggies you like and have on hands: carrots, kale, spiralized zucchini, etc.!
- Herbs. The aromatic element! Makes everything light and fragrant!
- Protein. Frozen edamame + shredded leftover rotisserie chicken makes this meal especially easy. But leftover steak or pork also work. As does lightly fried tofu strips or soft and/or hard soft boiled eggs.
- Sauce. The sauce really brings everything together! My spicy version gives everything a delicious kick of flavor!
Other Rice Bowl recipes you may enjoy:
Asian Rice Bowl
- 1 cup Brown Rice uncooked
- 2 cups red cabbage thinly sliced
- 1 cup edamame
- 2 cups cooked + shredded chicken rotisserie chicken works great here
- 1 cucumber thinly sliced into half moons
- 1/4 cup cilantro chopped
Spicy Soy Ginger Dressing
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 Tbsp sesame oil
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 1 Tbsp sesame seeds
- 1 inch ginger peeled + minced
- 1 Tbsp gochujang (Korean fermented chili paste) (sriracha is a good substitute)
- Cook brown rice, as per package directions.
- Prep the vegetables and chicken. Thinly slice red cabbage. Thinly slice the cucumber into half moons. Defrost the edamame. Chop the cilantro. Shred cooked chicken. Set aside in separate bowls.
- Make dressing. Combine all dressing ingredients in bowl and whisk. Set aside in small bowl.
- Assemble the bowls in advance. In each bowl, divide brown rice, chicken, and vegetables evenly. Serve with dressing on the side.
- Or, serve all the ingredients in bowls on the table. People can serve themselves and add sauce as they please.